TUP Wrestling Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Wrestling > General Wrestling Chat And Stories > Puroresu Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MVP Signs For New Japan Pro Wrestling!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Open To Bribes For Favours

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MVP Signs For New Japan Pro Wrestling!!!
    Posted: 03/February/2011 at 16:03
Quote As noted before, MVP has signed a one-year deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling and will make his debut on February 20th. MVP will be teaming with Nosawa to take on Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma. New Japan had to go through lots of red tape to get MVP a working Visa because of Japan's anti-felon policy when it comes to Visas.

Partial source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

I'm sure he will do just fine over there, and repay the work done by the company to get him a working visa.

The fact he's not been a criminal for many years will have helped the cause.

I hope he enjoys the lifestyle over there, and attempts to learn the language.
bigfloridapimp View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2X TW Winner.... Winner. YES! YES! YES!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfloridapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2011 at 19:07
Like I said in his released thread. If he went to Japan for a little while and came back to the states he would come back a true main event wrestler. Right now he is quite good and only perceived as being better than he is maybe, because he was in WWE. I think once he gets in Japan and starts to wrestle at a high level and leaning new things his career will only benefit from it and aged or not he is going to be better than ever. Watch.
Pac-Man View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2008 Hall Of Famer "The Champ"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pac-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2011 at 23:29
Originally posted by admin admin wrote:

I'm sure he will do just fine over there, and repay the work done by the company to get him a working visa.

It is often stated that he is one of the hardest working me in the business. Plus he's been wanting to do the Japan thing for awhile, as evidenced on Twitter. I'm sure he's extremely grateful for this opportunity and hungry to use it to the fullest.

The fact he's not been a criminal for many years will have helped the cause.

Indeed it would, though I'm willing to bet his WWE character going from arrogant rich athlete with the whole jail thing barely if ever coming up, to confident rich athlete who's redeemed himself through wrestling and wants to make a difference, definitely helped as well. It may have been used to show that he's much more than that criminal from years ago; he's an actor, he's a character, he's an athlete, he's a man, he's a warrior who survived hell and emerged a bright human being.

Agree completely. Japan did wonders for Tomko in part because of how he immersed himself in it and was dedicated to this thing from the moment he asked his release. Imagine what the same circumstances could do for a guy like MVP.

Edited by Pac-Man - 03/February/2011 at 23:30
EdgeHead View Drop Down
PB Members
PB Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdgeHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 06:05
I think that MVP, given that he has better all-around skills than Tomko or Giant Bernard/A-Train, will do incredibly well with New Japan during his stint over there. I'm not presuming that he'll win the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship any time soon but he can definitely become a special attraction that New Japan can bank on.

I'm really curious to see how MVP and NOSAWA will gel as a tag team and if they could eventually become solid contenders to the IWGP World Tag Team Championship down the line. In my mind, I think they will but my guess is that New Japan will want to capitulate on MVP's status in the business and recent history with WWE to push him as a draw in singles.
mikej690 View Drop Down
Unprettier God
Unprettier God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikej690 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2011 at 02:43
MVP is half man half amazing!
YES! YES! YES!
John The Baptist View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Asked To Be Mod 2 Years Ago

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John The Baptist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2011 at 21:42
Quote FIRST IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TO BE CROWNED NEXT MONTH AT NEW JAPAN EAST COAST INVASION!

New Japan Pro Wrestling has always been known as the "King of Sports" for a reason. From their creation many years ago, NJPW has always prided itself on providing the most hard-hitting athletic competition globally for professional wrestling.

Chief among those athletic classics are NJPW's own unique brand of tournament, the G-1 Climax. When New Japan Pro Wrestling comes to the United States next month for their first-ever "East Coast Invasion" they will not only be debuting their first new championship in over a decade but bringing a multi-day tournament to the States to crown that inaugural champion, G-1 Climax style.

A tournament to crown the first-ever International Wrestling Grand Prix Intercontinental Champion will commence Friday May 13th in Rahway, NJ, continuing in New York City on Saturday May 14th before crowning the first champion upon the completion of the finals on Sunday May 15th at the Asylum (formerly ECW) Arena in Philadelphia, PA. In three cities renowned for their love of true pro wrestling, NJPW, in conjunction with JAPW Promotions, will present their one of a kind strong style wrestling as well as global history for the first time ever in the United States.

For ticket information on all NJPW East Coast Invasion events, visit www.JAPW.net.

Here is an overview of the championship tournament's first round:

*The master of "Ghetto Strong Styles", former WWE United States champion MVP is looking to have his first taste of Japanese championship gold in the tournament. MVP will face Kazuchika Okada, who is currently wrestling for an extended tour of TNA. With all the additional seasoning Okada is receiving during his training Stateside, he can't be underestimated by anyone, least of all MVP, who has taken the Japanese wrestling world by storm in recent months.

*Hideo Saito returns to New Japan Pro Wrestling after an extended tour of Puerto Rico and wants to return to Japan with the IWGP Inter-Continental Championship around his waist. To do so, he will have to go through Team No Limit's Yujiro Takahashi, seeking to earn his first ever singles championship in New Japan.

*Tetsuya Naitō, the other half of Team No Limit, is likewise on a quest for his first singles championship victory, but to advance, he will have to defeat the wild card of the tournament, Tama Tonga. A newcomer to New Japan, Tonga comes from the toughest pedigree in wrestling, the son of former WWE star Haku. Tonga wants to bring honor and glory to his family while extending the legacy of his father, the former WWF King and Tag Team champion.

*If anyone has the home field advantage in the opening round of the tournament, "The Bayonne Badass" Dan Maff enters the tournament in Rahway representing both the Garden State and his home promotion JAPW. While Maff is known for being one of the baddest men in the Arena whenever he steps into Rahway, his first round opponent carries the same distinction when he competes in Japan. Maff will be facing renowned tough guy and decorated Greco-Roman wrestler, Toru Yano, who fears no man.

The first round of the IWGP Intercontinental Tournament will take place in Rahway, which will also feature the Dream Tag Team bout of "The Strong Style Thugz", Homicide and Low Ki facing the legendary Jushin "Thunder" Liger and Tiger Mask IV at the Rahway Recreation Center on Friday May 13th.

For ticket information on all NJPW East Coast Invasion events, visit www.JAPW.net.

ADDITIONAL MATCHES OFFICIAL FOR EAST COAST INVASION TOUR

Saturday 5/14/11 in New York at Basketball City
*IWGP Junior Heavyweight champion Prince Devitt vs. Low Ki
*Intercontinental championship tournament semi-finals.

Sunday 5/14/11 in Philadelphia at the Asylum Arena:
*South Philadelphia Street Fight: Togi Makabe vs. Rhino
*JAPW Light Heavyweight champion Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Kenny Omega
*Intercontinental championship tournament final. NJPW's East Coast Invasion is presented in conjunction with JAPW Promotions

Some good names in the tourny.

If I gave a shit about Japanese wrestling I'd probably watch it.
thundarr2000 View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thundarr2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2011 at 21:52

I've read several interviews about guys spending time in Japan.  Christopher Daniels pointed out he never had to learn more than a handful of Japanese.  Since many of the wrestlers there have trained in Mexico, many of them speak fluent Spanish.  Daniels revealed that they called the matches he worked in Spanish.  So he ended up improving his Spanish while he was there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic