TUP Wrestling Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Wrestling > General Wrestling Chat And Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jim Ross Podcast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jim Ross Podcast

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Rico Len View Drop Down
PB Members
PB Members
Avatar

Joined: 23/October/2012
Location: Yosemite Lakes
Status: Offline
Points: 9521
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico Len Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jim Ross Podcast
    Posted: 20/February/2014 at 18:12
Today is Thursday, time for The Steve Austin Show Unleashed. As I will be heading to Stanford this weekend I figured it was time to download all my podcasts to my mp3 player so I have them ready to listen to during the drive.

I get to Podcastone.com and lo and behold there's a new wrestling podcast featured by none other than good ol' J.R.

Needless to say I will be downloading this and listening to it this weekend. I will be sure to give my initial impressions next week when I get back.
Back to Top
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Open To Bribes For Favours

Joined: 01/October/2003
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 45571
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2014 at 11:54
http://podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report?showAllEpisodes=true

Admin's Note: You cannot go wrong being able to listen to a stream of them for free rather than paying to take the time to download them. I read on his website he had HBK on this week so thought that was as good of a time as any to listen for the first time. His bitching about the business is really good. He's not as diplomatic about things now he's no longer contracted to WWE but he still finds things to look like them. He makes alot of good gripes. You can see why he's in the top ten downloaded sport podcasts in the world on that site. It's well worth downloading for those who would rather spend the time listening to it in a car or on public transport.
Back to Top
Rico Len View Drop Down
PB Members
PB Members
Avatar

Joined: 23/October/2012
Location: Yosemite Lakes
Status: Offline
Points: 9521
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico Len Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2014 at 16:57
Thing is his show is shit compared to Jericho's or Austin's. JR is a pervy old loon. His show with Lita in particular is awkward and uncomfortable to listen to. He's completely out of touch with all other aspects of life outside wrestling. My wife won't even listen to his show, and she actually says she really likes listening to Jericho and Austin's podcasts. Which coming from her is extremely high praise.

I can not fathom why HIS show is rated so high when Austin's especially is absolute top notch from beginning to end. The professionalism Austin displays on his show (aside from breathing too hard into the mic and sometimes forgetting to his record, that shit's funny though) is remarkable, and his gripes and groans about the business are in sync with JR's except that Austin is a whole lot more diplomatic about it and he backs everything he says up with his own experiences in the business.

The same exact thing can be said of Chris Jericho's Pod of Thunder and Rock and Roll. His show is not always about wrestling however. It's about a 40/30/30 split between Rock, Wrestling,and acting/hockey/other, in that order, and frequently in the same show too.

Austin's show is more about his life today, but he will do almost non-stop interviews with other wrestlers and kinda get a biography on their careers, starting with how they first found wrestling, to how they first broke into the business, then about key points in their career, how they got settled back into regular life after they retired (if applicable), and what they're doing today.

The Steve Austin show is what a wrestling podcast ought to be like IMO.

Talk is Jericho is a lot more mainstream, but always with at least some wrestling talk, and with several wrestling guests (with his wrestler guests his show is almost identical to the Steve Austin show format).

The Ross Report podcast is dead on when he talks about wrestling, but his interviews are very awkward and hard to listen to for me, his commercial reads are cringe-worthy, and if he ever gets a woman on then the whole show becomes cringe-worthy.

The Piper's Pit Podcast is a little bit like JR's only Piper is a whole damned lot more likable. Piper is out of touch, he doesn't do a whole lot in the way if interviews (just yet, he's only 4 or 5 shows in, so I'm willing to give him more time) and when he does they're all over the place. His own stories however are worth the listen alone.

Piper has something not even Austin has; the autobiography from hell. When Piper opens up and talks about his own life, Jesus it's just mind blowing the things this poor man has gone through. Abused sexually, and violently as a kid, picked on at school, frozen half to death, accused of rape (when he was 6 years old himself and people actually took it seriously!), run over by a car as a kid and just left to fend for himself, battles with cancer, pronounced dead from another car accident, treated like an indentured servant by the other wrestlers he traveled with, beat to crap for years by his fellow wrestlers until he came of age to fend for himself. You talk about paying dues, no one has paid their dues like Piper did, and when he tells his stories they're just mindblowing.

Piper really is all over the place, and you can tell how he's getting old, but he talked with a wrestler I had never heard of called The Grappler, but shoot, I wish I had, the guy main evented in the Superdome, and beat Andre the Giant and Dusty Rhodes in that same night. He had some great stories to tell.

I really hope he continues to improve his show because he has the potential to be so much better.
Back to Top
thundarr2000 View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Avatar

Joined: 13/June/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 15273
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote thundarr2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2014 at 20:10
Ahem. Adders needs to learn to use the "Search" function. 
http://www.tupwrestlingforum.com/the-ross-report-podcast-on-podcastonecom_topic19500.html

The Ross Report has been so-so, although I've only listened to about half of his shows on PodcastOne. Jim Ross is not a natural interviewer (like Jericho). I had high hopes for Episode 10 with guest Jim Cornette. I was hoping for more stories from back in the day, but instead there was a lot of hyping both Cornette's and Ross' personal appearances and other endeavors. Perhaps it's because good ol' JR seems to be holding back. 

I get that it's his nature to try and be a rah-rah company man... but he rarely is willing to critize what the WWE is doing. He'll make some "I don't know" sort of comments. But those sort of comments just make him seem old and out of touch. But it's clear that somethings about WWE (and to a lesser extent TNA) are really bothering him.

There has been one thing that he's been willing to get off his chest and really delve into: the lack of rules and effect on heels. One of the dirt sheets over-simplified his comments to make it sound like JR just wanted to bring back time-limit draws. But his comments were just bigger than that. Compared to 15 years ago, there seem to be hardly any rules within a match anymore. Any without rules to break, heels can't cheat and generate heat. So this means heels have to rely strictly upon their promos to get them heat. 

I completely agree with Rico that JR's commercial reads are horrible.


The Steve Austin Show is the podcast that sets the bar for all the other wrestling-related shows. He'll talk at lengths about his personal life and what's going on with those damn rats at the Broken Skull Ranch... but it comes across as if he's having a conversation with you, the listener. 

Austin (usually) does a good job about getting some research together so that he's got some good questions to ask his guests, but then Austin also seems to lose that research just before the actual interview. 


Talk is Jericho is pretty good. Jericho does spend a lot of time talking about non-wrestling things. But it's all centered around him and his interests, so it tends to work out. 



Another podcast I've checked out a few times has been The Jim Cornette Experience. Unlike Austin, Ross and Jericho, Cornette is on MLW radio. Unlike Podcast One, MLW offers a paid subscription membership package. So the free podcast is about an hour a week, but to get the whole interview you need to subscribe. The result is that at some point during every interview, Corny will tell the guest to save that story for the premium part. Personally, I'd rather listen to guys on Podcast One read their commercial spots than to be given the "you're missing the good stuff" sales pitch.

And since I brought up MLW radio... Court Bauer is a former WWE writer, who has his own promotion now (Major League Wrestling) and is the owner of MLW radio. Bauer and his cohorts (Konnan is a frequent co-host) tend to be very negative towards WWE, and yet talk incessantly about WWE. Now generally, I enjoy hearing former creative members talking about the decision making process that goes on within WWE... but Bauer tends to sound too damn bitter for me.

Back to Top
John The Baptist View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Avatar
Asked To Be Mod 2 Years Ago

Joined: 26/August/2008
Location: Engerland
Status: Offline
Points: 42601
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John The Baptist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2014 at 21:20
Austin's podcast was terrible when I last listened (Kevin Nash ep), no surprise you two boring old cunts love it.

Seems like he's half arsed and reading generic questions from an autocue in the same order each time.
Back to Top
Raven View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Avatar
TUP Mr. 200,000!

Joined: 03/September/2006
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 16027
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2014 at 05:09
I haven't heard his interviews yet, but I listened to the pre-interview part of one of his shows and it sounded pretty good. Seems a really likeable guy and he's really funny to boot, and I fucking hate Austin.
Back to Top
EdgeHead View Drop Down
PB Members
PB Members
Avatar

Joined: 22/November/2006
Location: Quebec, Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 3512
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdgeHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2014 at 06:21
Originally posted by thundarr2000 thundarr2000 wrote:

Ahem. Adders needs to learn to use the "Search" function. 
http://www.tupwrestlingforum.com/the-ross-report-podcast-on-podcastonecom_topic19500.html

The Ross Report has been so-so, although I've only listened to about half of his shows on PodcastOne. Jim Ross is not a natural interviewer (like Jericho). I had high hopes for Episode 10 with guest Jim Cornette. I was hoping for more stories from back in the day, but instead there was a lot of hyping both Cornette's and Ross' personal appearances and other endeavors. Perhaps it's because good ol' JR seems to be holding back. 

I get that it's his nature to try and be a rah-rah company man... but he rarely is willing to critize what the WWE is doing. He'll make some "I don't know" sort of comments. But those sort of comments just make him seem old and out of touch. But it's clear that somethings about WWE (and to a lesser extent TNA) are really bothering him.

There has been one thing that he's been willing to get off his chest and really delve into: the lack of rules and effect on heels. One of the dirt sheets over-simplified his comments to make it sound like JR just wanted to bring back time-limit draws. But his comments were just bigger than that. Compared to 15 years ago, there seem to be hardly any rules within a match anymore. Any without rules to break, heels can't cheat and generate heat. So this means heels have to rely strictly upon their promos to get them heat. 

I completely agree with Rico that JR's commercial reads are horrible.


The Steve Austin Show is the podcast that sets the bar for all the other wrestling-related shows. He'll talk at lengths about his personal life and what's going on with those damn rats at the Broken Skull Ranch... but it comes across as if he's having a conversation with you, the listener. 

Austin (usually) does a good job about getting some research together so that he's got some good questions to ask his guests, but then Austin also seems to lose that research just before the actual interview. 


Talk is Jericho is pretty good. Jericho does spend a lot of time talking about non-wrestling things. But it's all centered around him and his interests, so it tends to work out. 



Another podcast I've checked out a few times has been The Jim Cornette Experience. Unlike Austin, Ross and Jericho, Cornette is on MLW radio. Unlike Podcast One, MLW offers a paid subscription membership package. So the free podcast is about an hour a week, but to get the whole interview you need to subscribe. The result is that at some point during every interview, Corny will tell the guest to save that story for the premium part. Personally, I'd rather listen to guys on Podcast One read their commercial spots than to be given the "you're missing the good stuff" sales pitch.

And since I brought up MLW radio... Court Bauer is a former WWE writer, who has his own promotion now (Major League Wrestling) and is the owner of MLW radio. Bauer and his cohorts (Konnan is a frequent co-host) tend to be very negative towards WWE, and yet talk incessantly about WWE. Now generally, I enjoy hearing former creative members talking about the decision making process that goes on within WWE... but Bauer tends to sound too damn bitter for me.


To my knowledge, Major League Wrestling has closed a LONG time ago.
Back to Top
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Open To Bribes For Favours

Joined: 01/October/2003
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 45571
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2014 at 14:48
I've listened to the second part now of his HBK interview and really enjoyed it. No need for shouting or swearing. Just two guys talking normally like a pub convo you'd expect to have with mates. The only downside is what has already been picked on which is how uneasy he sounds trying to promote his sponsors. But it's worth putting up with to keep his podcast free.

I also like his little gripes with the industry as he talks alot of sense. Like how unrealistic it is when someone gets hit ten times in the ring and the guy doesn't hurt his hand and the other guy comes away without a mark. Or how wrestling doesn't have enough one counts. Or how much he doesn't like shades of grey wrestlers (tweeners). Or the copout of when someone wins a match but the loser recovers to lay out the winner thus look more like the winner.
Back to Top
thundarr2000 View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Avatar

Joined: 13/June/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 15273
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thundarr2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2014 at 19:10
Originally posted by EdgeHead EdgeHead wrote:

To my knowledge, Major League Wrestling has closed a LONG time ago.
I think they went on "indefinite hiatus" back in 2004. Bauer's big alternative to WWE seemed an awful lot like the old ECW. Amazingly it turned out just like the old ECW... broke.

Originally posted by admin admin wrote:

I also like his little gripes with the industry as he talks alot of sense. Like how unrealistic it is when someone gets hit ten times in the ring and the guy doesn't hurt his hand and the other guy comes away without a mark. Or how wrestling doesn't have enough one counts. Or how much he doesn't like shades of grey wrestlers (tweeners). Or the copout of when someone wins a match but the loser recovers to lay out the winner thus look more like the winner.
There's too many closed-fists, plus that no longer seems to be against the rules either. That a big problem. With European upper-cuts and forearm smashes, it sort of fits a guy doesn't come away sporting 2 black eyes. But the idea that having guys throwing punches somehow makes the matches seem more realistic is a fallacy.

The tweeners comments are dead-on. 
Back to Top
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Open To Bribes For Favours

Joined: 01/October/2003
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 45571
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2016 at 13:48
Anyone else listen to this weeks that was uploaded today? So odd on a JR podcast known every week for breaking kayfabe to interview Matt Hardy in character.

Bill Apter was on moaning about people who moan, so he basically moaned about himself before going on to have his latest book promoted in time for people to go and buy it for christmas shopping.

Overall though it's a good 90 or so minute weekly show and JR still trying to advertise the products of his sponsors awkwardly still amuses me.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.